To Justin through Chuck's reply!!

Justin, Chuck mentions the OIR of an object - I believe that means Object Information Record.

You can see what it is by using the DMPOBJ command - this will create a spooled file that has the contents of the object in hex and character (where displayable) representations.

This can be quite instructive - BTW, for *FILE objects, the actual data is not included in the spooled file.

Everything on an IBM i is an object - and each kind of object (*PGM, *FILE, DTAARA, etc.) inherits several attributes from the basic OBJECT. Most commands for creating things have a TEXT parameter, which applies to the object level and appears in the OIR. Other attributes specific to the "subclass" that is a *FILE will appear elsewhere, either as some coded value or actual text - an example would be the TEXT description of each column of a table.

Just to digress - and I found this interesting, and thanks to you for making me dig into it - the COMMENT ON statement of SQL actually puts those long strings into the respective parts of the object - the COMMENT on a table appears in the OIR, and those for columns are in the main body (wrong name, but OK) of the *FILE object.

Hope this gives you a little entertainment! And maybe a touch more insight into things IBM-i-ish!

Cheers
Vern