Le 10/12/2015 23:29, rob@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :
Aren't there upgrades which may affect user data? Something like the
*TYPE1 to *TYPE2 conversion of stream files comes to mind. STROBJCVN.
These sorts of things. Probably not insurmountable. Much like once we
upgrade "backup" and switch to it, "primary" doesn't come back up until
it's upgraded also.

Yes, you are right. As the objects in the IASP can switch from one system to another, they can switch from one operating system level to another.
It means that the time window between the upgrade of the first system and the upgrade of the second must be as short as possible. You can no longer switch back from the "upgraded" system to the "not yet upgraded" system.
As an example (yes, an old example because of old versions, but the same kind of situation may occur again), let's assume a PowerHA cluster on V5R4 IBM i partitions, that you want to upgrade to 6.1.
If you first upgrade to 6.1 the partition with the backup role, then switch over, the programs will be converted at switch over time. And you will not be able to switch back until the upgrade of the partition with the initial primary role.
If you first upgrade to 6.1 the partition with the primary role, you have to switch over first to keep the production running. The programs will be converted when you switch back. Once they are converted, you can no longer switch over again until the backup is upgraded also to 6.1.

Rob Berendt

Marc