This will differ by shop. And as you evolve. And your equipment.

For example, some routers allow you to have the same IP address in two
different locations. This would send our network guy into a heart attack
by not having different subnets by location.

We change the DNS. We do NOT change any router configs. None. And we do
switches every quarter with one coming up this weekend. We change the DNS
by CL. The mimix switch calls a CL program which talks to a Windows
client which then submits a DNS change. The timeout of this entry is set
pretty low. IOW we do not set up the expiration of this DNS entry very
high, more like 5 minutes.

Let's say you have PROD1 and PROD2. They both should have a database name
of PROD. This is what your biztalk type applications should be talking
to. With directly accessing PROD1 or PROD2 limited to systems stuff that
needs to know the difference.

WRKRDBDIRE

On GDISYS1
Relational database . . . . . . : GDISYS
Remote location:
Remote location . . . . . . . : *LOCAL
Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : *IP

Relational database . . . . . . : GDISYS
Relational database alias . . : GDISYS1
Remote location:
Remote location . . . . . . . : GDISYS1

On GDISYS2
Relational database . . . . . . : GDISYS
Remote location:
Remote location . . . . . . . : *LOCAL

Relational database . . . . . . : GDISYS
Relational database alias . . : GDISYS2
Remote location:
Remote location . . . . . . . : GDISYS2

I do find that one often has to UNMOUNT and re MOUNT stuff using NFS
though.

We have this documented enough that there are a few people who can do a
switch. And we alternate who works which shift on these downtime
weekends.

I will say that Darren and I are more the 'go to' guys on this here.

There are some crappy applications out there where you type in a name,
like PROD and the <expletive deleted> do a look up of the name and bury
the IP address in their configuration instead.
Another reason I despise host table entries, hard coded IP addresses,
etc...