The IFS file is a fixed format file (except for the block data as shown
below) with no delimiters. The first 25 bytes of each record are the same
layout. Starting with byte 26 for a max of 2000 bytes (most formats only
using about 100 of the 2000 bytes) is the block data.

Here is a mocked up transaction without specific data in the block data
field.

111223320151106000000THDRThis is the block data for the IHDR record that
contains the transaction header info.CRLF111223320151106000000CUSTThis is
the block data for the CUST record that contains the customer info.
Obviously with name, address, etc., this record is quite
long.CRLF111223320151106000000ITEMThis is the block data for the ITEM record
that contains the items sold, quantity, price, etc. |-Record ends
here.CRLF111223320151106000000TAX This is the block data for the TAX record
that contains the total taxes.CRLF111223320151106000000PAYMThis is the block
data for the PAYM record that contains the payment information.CRLF

The above broken into records looks like this

111223320151106000000THDRThis is the block data for the IHDR record that
contains the transaction header info.|-Record ends here

111223320151106000000CUSTThis is the block data for the CUST record that
contains the customer info. Obviously with name, address, etc., this record
is quite long.|-Record ends here

111223320151106000000ITEMThis is the block data for the ITEM record that
contains the items sold, quantity, price, etc.|-Record ends here

111223320151106000000TAX This is the block data for the TAX record that
contains the total taxes.|-Record ends here

111223320151106000000PAYMThis is the block data for the PAYM record that
contains the payment information.|-Record ends here

Here is the layout of both the IFS file and the DB2 file except for the
block data field which, just like seen above, is variable length depending
on the type.

Store - 3

Register - 2

Transaction - 2

Timestamp - 14 (YYYYMMDDHHMMSS)

RecordType - 4

BlockData - 2000

Although the IFS is variable length block data, when stored in the DB2, the
block data field will be padded with blanks to fill the 2000 bytes.

I need to keep the "key" fields in the DB2 for sorting, grouping, and easier
research. Also, since this file will be millions of records, I don't want
to copy the IFS file to a single field DB2 file and then copy it to another
file that contains the keys that I need.

I hope that further answers the questions that have been asked by everyone
trying to help.