On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 9:29 AM, CRPence <crpbottle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

FWiW:

I believe the common vernacular would be bottom-post; i.e. to include
the quoted text at the top, and then compose the reply after. Regardless...

And while there seems to be no apparent /expected/ posting protocol on
the lists, please do note that by including the quote at the top and
composing the reply on the bottom, there is benefit for the midrange
archives. That benefit is visible in the hover-over text. That text seems
consistently functional, i.e. giving worthwhile effect, only when following
the /compose reply at the bottom/ means of composing a message. Thus
arguably, the convention of posting reply-text at the bottom could be
considered a courtesy to anyone utilizing the archives,

For example, of your two consecutive posts seen listed in this thread as
seen here [
http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201510/threads.html#00823] [note:
the effects of the position-to on the message number, seen on the end of
the URL, will become effective only if\when there are sufficient posts in
this month and appearing threaded _under_ those two messages]. The first
of those messages was composed using top-posting [quoted text follows the
composed reply-text] versus the second which was composed using
bottom-posting [quoted text precedes the composed reply-text]. As a result:

The context revealed using hover-over with the first is some seemingly
random amalgam of two single-line snippets from some prior replies,
followed by a bunch of the automatically appended text by the midrange
email listing software about unsubscribing [<sarcasm> So very useful
</sarcasm>], but most definitely *not* any text provided in your reply.
The only way a person perusing the list of messages can see what was your
reply, is by visiting the link; i.e. the hover-over is quite useless,
because none of your reply is visible.

Contrast that with...

The context revealed using hover-over with the second is most
definitely all of the text provided in your reply; including, and IMO
somewhat surprisingly, even the one line of text that was composed on the
top, *and* followed by *all of the text* composed on the bottom. Anyone
perusing the list of messages can see what was your reply, directly from
the hover-over, because *all of your reply is visible* there, without ever
having opened the link.

--
Regards, Chuck

​Chuck,

That's truly interesting info....too bad it doesn't appear that google
offers a way to default to bottom post.

Charles ​

​ ​