On 27-Oct-2015 13:40 -0500, rob wrote:
<<SNIP>> Column_heading is rather a special beast. 1-20 = line 1,
21-40 = line 2, 41-60 = line 3. If one can sort by a hidden column I
can see something like rows 1-3 for the column headings and 4 for the
data rows.
<<SNIP>>

The COLUMN_HEADING correlates to LABEL [from LABEL ON ... IS syntax] for which the DB2 for i has merely /aligned with/ [or fit into] the Column Heading (COLHDG) support that long-existed prior.

While the LABEL might be used, by default, as effective report column headings even in other databases, there is not necessarily going to be any consistency for which a three 20-byte division should be expected. For any particular client being used, if the LABEL is ever presented as a column heading on a report, most likely the client report-writer ends up wrapping the full 60-bytes of data at the token separators rather than on fixed 20-byte partitions. That is because indeed, the ColHdg is a special beast, quite particular to the S/3X heritage, whereas the LABEL is not.