On Fri, 16 Oct 2015, CRPence wrote:

On 16-Oct-2015 15:51 -0500, James Rich wrote:
Today I tried to create a table only to discover that the SQL
statement doesn't appear to be supported. I checked the release and
discovered this particular system is at V5R1, much to my dismay.
Upgrading to a new IBM i might be a possibility, but before looking
further into that the customer wants to explore what the other
possibilities are. Here is the statement we're trying to run:

No. There is no IDENTITY column support on that release. The feature was added with V5R2.

Wow - many helpful replies to what really was rather hopeless stab in the dark. Thanks to everyone. I've informed the customer that upgrading is the only viable option. One person did suggest looking at "i in the cloud" but that isn't what this customer wants. All of these responses have helped this very reluctant customer to see that an upgrade is required. Thanks again!

James Rich