Subject: Re: Is there a name for date format used by DB2?
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 17:28:43 -0500

Dates, times, and timestamps are stored the same way whether table/file
created DDS source or by a CREATE TABLE. The underlying objects and data
types are the same. That is what object-based system is all about.

The internal length of a date is 4 bytes - it's probably a serial number
representing a number of days from some starting point - someone it is a
Lillian date - I'm not sure, but it might be - that's after some day in
1400 something, as I recall.

A time is 3 bytes long internally

A timestamp (7.1 and before) is 10 bytes long - that is a date (4) a
time(3) and microseconds (3 more). In 7.2 we can have up to 12 "micro"
digits, so maybe the length is increased - I'm on 7.1 and can't see that.

I did a hex(tdate) and hex(ttime) and hex(ttimestamp) and the results
are 8 long for dates - that's 4 bytes - time is 6 long and looks like
hours-minutes-seconds stored in nybbles - 10:15:35 would be x'101535' -
I don't know that for certain, just surmising some stuff. Timestamp is
20 hex digits, the last 6 would be the microseconds stored in nybbles
again, perhaps. So here is the result of displaying both the values and
the hex contents of a date field, a time field, and a timestamp field

HEX ( TDATE ) TDATE HEX ( TTIME ) TTIME HEX ( TTMSTMP )
TTMSTMP
00257EDA 10/10/15 111213 11:12:13 00257EDA111213123456
2015-10-10-11.12.13.123456

Note the TDATE value is displayed in the job's DATFMT - presentation is
managed at application level - storage is always the same.

Actually I think the date number is the number of days since January 1,
4713 BCE - this was established by a certain Scaliger, as a date when
several calendars coincided. We've had a discussion in these lists about
what is what in regard to Julian and other calendar naming - I won't get
into what I don't remember.

If I take the number of days above (x'257EDA', decimal 2,457,306 and
divide by 365.25 and subtract 4713 from that number, I get 2014.7

And __remember___ - it doesn't matter how the table was created - all
date/time values are stored the same in the underlying physical storage.

HTH
Vern