And then any other open source stuff can run and be
built upon that [PASE]. Instead of this endless parade of new options to
5733-OPS.

I'll just let Buck speak for himself. He may simply say, yeah what John
said ;-)

From my perspective, the "business value" question isn't simply a matter of
more perfectly emulating AIX or Linux or whatever, but rather making the
OSS stuff more compatible with and better integrated with stuff that runs
in the IBM native virtual machine - the database and existing applications.
That calls for involvement of the IBM i team.

This dovetails with a discussion in the WEB400 list asking about the
interface between node.js and the XMLSERVICE toolkit which runs on IBM i.

If all you want is a more perfect AIX or Linux, you can do that with
partitions, running the real deal. But PASE is more about AIX integration
with IBM i and whatever that might entail.

PHP, Python, Ruby, and Node.js would probably not attract new workloads to
IBM i without IBM's involvement in the integration and distribution.