SOLVED

I figured out the issue. It wasn't a naming issue. Something was
sanitizing the SQL. There was a "...cut..." in my SQL statement.
Initially I thought the logging mechanism was truncating the log entry due
to length, but it turns out the "...cut..." web being injected into the
actual SQL statement. I figured out how to adjust the syntax so the SQL
statement executed without alteration. Whatever messed with the SQL did
not like a carriage return/line feed in my SQL statement. Those characters
were only there to make the SQL more legible in the source, so I just
removed the characters. The statement started working again after the
carriage return / line feed was removed.

The thing is, this was not a new program and this started happening out of
nowhere. I really don't know where the SQL was being altered. No search
engines seem to index periods, so I cannot search "...cut..." and find out
what might have added that.

The error occurred in db2_prepare and the exact error message was
"SQLSTATE=42601 SQLCODE=-104 Token . was not valid. Valid tokens: ( + - ? :
DAY INF NAN NOT RID ROW RRN CASE CAST CHAR DATE DAYS. "

Adding all this information to the thread in hopes that someone might
stumble across this if they run in to the same issue.