On 01-Oct-2015 13:28 -0600, Vicki Wilson wrote:
On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 11:25:19 -0600 CRPence wrote:
On 01-Oct-2015 10:24 -0600, Vicki Wilson wrote:
<<SNIP>> when the data was part of an xml document on the IFS I
successfully used get_xml_file. But now when the xml is part of
a file the get_xml_file fails.

get_xml_file('mylibrary/CBX_XML(CBX_XML)')

The documentation says that get_xml_file should be able to
retrieve from a file "For a source physical file, the string must
be in the form 'library/file(member)'"

I've played with the syntax a bit - but nothing seems to work.

From the given example, consider that the IBM i object names are
upper-case, unless delimited by double-quotes. <<SNIP>>

Upper or lower case does not seem to matter.

I also created a variable and put the file name and I still get the
error.

I'm getting a CPF428A error. In fact the job log is kind of weird
because I get the error twice.
Here's the full error listing:
Open of member CBX_XML file CBX_XML in ZZVICKIW failed.
Open of member CBX_XML file CBX_XML in ZZVICKIW failed.
User-defined function error on member QSQPTABL.
User-defined function error on member QSQPTABL.
Trigger program or external routine detected an error.

What would more appropriately be called a "full error listing" would require a spooled joblog [generated with LOG(4 0 *SECLVL)].

The full CPF error is:
Message: Open of member CBX_XML file CBX_XML in ZZVICKIW failed.
Cause: Member CBX_XML file CBX_XML in library ZZVICKIW was
not opened because of error code 1. The error codes and their
meanings are: 1 -- The format for file CBX_XML contains one or more
large object fields and the open request did not indicate that large
object fields could be processed by the user of the open.

Again, lacking the context [that would be provided with a spooled joblog], the term /full/ as descriptive, verges on hyperbole. Those details, I suppose not of much import, as the issue appears likely to be usage; apparently, for naming an unsupported file.

I'm running out of ideas for what to try next.

Conspicuously, the file is not a "source physical file", to which the alluded doc reference refers. A PF-SRC is created with DDS source or the Create Source Physical File (CRTSRCPF) command, and Large Object (LOB) data types are unsupported. If the data is not [going to be] in a SRC-PF, then AIUI the location of the data could be moved to and referred to via a Stream File (STMF) name in the root file system instead.?