On 01-Oct-2015 10:24 -0600, Vicki Wilson wrote:
<<SNIP>> when the data was part of an xml document on the IFS I
successfully used get_xml_file. But now when the xml is part of a
file the get_xml_file fails.

get_xml_file('mylibrary/CBX_XML(CBX_XML)')

The documentation says that get_xml_file should be able to retrieve
from a file "For a source physical file, the string must be in the
form 'library/file(member)'"

I've played with the syntax a bit - but nothing seems to work.

From the given example, consider that the IBM i object names are upper-case, unless delimited by double-quotes. If that is playing any part, I do not know if character case is relevant to the argument per possible implicit folding for undelimited names [but also unknown how contrived vs accurate reflection is the example or what else was tried], then:

So the lower-case library name mylibr would be "mylibr" [per limited to 10-characters inclusive of the delimiters, the example is shortened], thus:
get_xml_file('"mylibr"/CBX_XML(CBX_XML)')

Most likely the library name is upper-case, so the library name MYLIBRARY would be just MYLIBRARY, thus:
get_xml_file('MYLIBRARY/CBX_XML(CBX_XML)')

FWiW: The following DeveloperWorks topic discussed a failure for access, if\when MYLIBRARY resides on an IASP:

Forum Directory ->‎ Information Management ->‎ Forum: DB2 for i ->‎ Topic: GET_XML_FILE not corretly picking up source from iASP
[https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/threadTopic?id=301bdc22-5263-4a7e-9b54-37e048aea07c]