Chuck, and anybody else interested,

Changing the flight recorder attribute to not allow save WORKED!

I sat and watched as the SAV plodded along. It looked like it was about to
fail, since the status was not changing for over ten minutes. But, a check
on the drive itself showed alternating between ready and writing. More
waiting. Maybe twenty minutes, and finally saw a message to change the
tape. After waiting for tape to stabilize at load point, I gave the G
response. Maybe ten more minutes, and backup completed.

A really nice feeling, almost giddy.

Thank you for your efforts!

John McKee