Justin,

Chuck said this already, but in case he didn't hammer the point home...

Although your date is defined as *ISO in the file, when SQL displays it, it will convert it to whatever the SQL date format is set to.

For example, in STRSQL, hit F13 and option 1. On my system, the date format is *MDY. This will fail with your dates that are 0001-01-01 purely because that can't be converted to *MDY format. But, if I change my format to *ISO or *USA it works fine.

Same is true of embedded SQL in RPG... the CRTSQLRPGI command has a DATFMT parameter that specifies what SQL will convert to. You can also change this with "set option". But, if it's a format with a 2-digit year, your 0001-01-01 won't be able to convert to that, and will give an error, etc.

Hope that's clear -- the issue isn't that you used DDS or that you have a DFT keyword. Rather, the issue is that the year isn't between 1940-2039 and therefore cannot be converted to a 2-digit year format, which SQL will attempt to do if your date format is set to something like *MDY or *DMY.

IMHO, the solution is simple... set your SQL date format to one that supports a 4-digit year. That's a much better solution, imho, than saying something like "don't use DFT" -- nothing wrong with DFT.

-SK