Hmmmm. So are you saying the name isn't important?

I spent 30 minutes today on the phone with a recruiter. He's new in the area and the market. He had no idea of the history of the system but referred to it as the iSeries because that was what he was told to say.

Why is this important? He is trying to find people to fill open jobs. Some of those he's talking too aren't interested in going to work for a company who uses an iSeries (or worse, an AS/400!) You see now that the market is opening up potential employees are starting to get a bit picky and if your company sounds like it runs an AS/400 even if it runs IBM i on Power Systems you lose points. You sound 'old'. You sound 'past tense' if you get my drift.

And often it's actually true! If the I.T. staff says they're looking for iSeries talent then it's fairly likely they are in fact looking for 'iSeries Talent!' Oops!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com