Came in this morning and power cycled the 3590. Did self test. Think I
heard activity from tape movement mechanism. Not sure as computer room is
noisy.

Panel returned to display "MOVE ERROR" and cartridge is still inside.

Called IBM. No outward laughter. I learned that the 3590 is considered an
external device. Not under maintenance. So, I was sent to entitlement. A
preliminary estimate for service is 4,700.

Questions:

1) Is the 3590 E11 considered a device that customer can replace?

2) If so, are there any suggestions as to where to puchase one and what an
appropriate price might be?

3) If customer replacaeble, is there a procedure to be followed?

4) Whether customer replaceable or not, is anybody interested in coming to
Topeka - assuming for less than IBM wants for service? If so, can an
estimate be given? For this, you can contact me off list.

The 520 still has no drop dead date assigned. Could be three months.
Could be longer. We do have IBM hardware maintenance until end of year on
the 520 itself.

I appreciate your time.

John McKee