Three weeks in a row. I saw at the LAN console. Waited for the tape
change message. It came. Change the tape. Waited until drive indicated
tape was at load point. Back to LAN console. Entered G. SAVE ended with
FAIL. I did IOP reset last week. Did it again after the FAIL message.

The job log shows my G response to the load next tape message. IMMEDIATELY
after thatis System object TAP35 partially damaged. Further down, it
states VLOG identifier is *NONE. For recovery, it states to delete and
recreate the DEVD.

Text for current TAP35 *DEVD has "CREATED BY AUTO-CONFIGURATION".

DSPOBJD shows creation as 07/13/06. Also shows change date as 08/16/10.
Never saved or restored.

Is there a way to see if it is damaged? Only way I have seen is to do GO
SAVE, wait over an hour and ten get the damaged message.

If I save the configuration source, vary off the device and then delete it,
then recreate from source - will THAT fix what is ailing?

I get to wait until next Wednesday to try a save again.

I don't have a problem with recreating the DEVD, even manually. But, I
sure would like to be able to see if the ruddy thing was damaged before an
hour has passed.

John McKee