On 05-Sep-2015 11:39 -0600, DrFranken wrote:
IBM has changed the way that the objects in /qfpnwsstg/ are
stored as of i 7.2. I have occasion to save a few of these
from IBM i 7.2 with intent to restore to IBM i 7.1.

Attempt to restore on 7.1 without specifying TGTRLS(*PRV) on the
save understandably fail CPF3743, my bad.

Attempting to save with TGTRLS(*PRV) on i 7.2 also fails
CPD376D RC 0. "No can do boss."

Not sure there is a workaround here but FYI......

In the following TechNote (FAQ) document, although there are a number of grammatical and spelling errors, poor wording, as well as mismatched textual explanation for at least one of the invocation examples, what I read seems to be an attempt to imply that the IBM i 7.2 format for those objects is incompatible with *all* /previous releases/. The two examples given, shown explicitly specifying V6R1M0 and V7R1M0 [into which the special-value *PRV resolves], imply that the symptom is accurate for all /previous/ releases supported on the Target Release (TGRRLS) parameter of the Save Object (SAV) command, when performed on IBM i 7.2; i.e. only TGTRLS(*CURRENT) is going to allow the save:

[http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1020563]
Saving a Server Storage Space to a Previous Release Fails with Message CPD376D
Reference #: N1020563
"...
_Cause_

IBM i 6.1 and 7.2 NWSSTG (Network Storage Space) are not compatible with the previous previous [sic] release, so save to previous release is not allowed for the nwsstg at these releases.

_Answer_

When you save a Network Storage Space and specify a previous release on the TGTRLS parameter on the SAV command, it will fail on IBM i 6.1 & IBM i 7.2 with message CPD376D, while it will work on IBM i 7.1 when the prevvious [sic] release is IBM i 6.1 [¿sic?] will also fail [¿sic?] when the TGTRLS V5R4M0 is specified.

Save to previous release is a release-by-release behavior. The ability to save a network storage space to a previous release is dependent upon whether the network storage space format is compatible with the previous release. Because IBM i 6.1 and 7.1 are compatible, the operating system will allow the IBM i 7.1 storage to be saved to a target release of IBM i 6.1. ...

See the examples and outcomes below:
Example (SAVF being used in this example) on IBM i 7.2 with TGTRLS V7R1M0:
SAV DEV('/qsys.lib/qtemp.lib/savf.file')
OBJ(('/qfpnwsstg/NWSSTG'))
TGTRLS(V7R1M0)
Will result in the messages:
Not able to save /qfpnwsstg/NWSSTG. -->> CPD376D RC0 - Objects of type *DIR cannot be saved for
the release specified on the TGTRLS
parameter.
No objects saved or restored. -->> CPF3823 - No objects saved or restored.

Example (SAVF being used in this example) on IBM i 7.2 with TGTRLS V6R1M0:
SAV DEV('/qsys.lib/qtemp.lib/savf.file')
OBJ(('/qfpnwsstg/NWSSTG'))
TGTRLS(V6R1M0)
Will result in the messages:
Not able to save /qfpnwsstg/NWSSTG. -->> CPD376D RC0 - Objects of type *DIR cannot be saved for
the release specified on the TGTRLS
parameter.
No objects saved or restored. -->> CPF3823 - No objects saved or restored.
..."