I am not sure how you come to this conclusion about running on i and scheduling - there have been 3 solutions offered here that can fulfill that requirement - SEQUEL, NGS-IQ, IBM Web Query, and maybe BCD's Clover.

As an example, with SEQUEL, which we have, one command can do all of this - once a server is defined for the SQL Server connection - easy to do.

SEQUEL/EXECUTE can be used run an ad hoc SELECT statement over an SQL Server source or a SEQUEL view, convert it to XLSX, and email it. I'm sure the other solutions have similar capabilities. The XLSX is, admittedly, pretty basic - column headings and data, although both can be enhanced a bit.

Oh, yeah, as to consolidating things over disparate data sources - a SEQUEL script view can run queries to different RDBMS' and combine the results, which will be temporary results - no federation. Or all this can be done with several commands in a CL.

As to scheduling - well, Robot and the rest can all run commands on a schedule.

Cheers
Vern