To expand on Rob's points:

If it's possible to accomplish your PC task using the shorter string,
then why not just use it, and not worry about which emulator is being
used?

If that's not possible, but it's possible to detect failure, then just
use the long string and give a message if it doesn't work.

The only case where there's a real benefit to detecting the emulator
would thus be when you can't use a short string AND you can't detect
failure. It seems unlikely to me that you can't detect failure, yet
you can detect specific enough emulator information. But I'm just
shooting from the hip here.

John Y.