Years back, 2006, (before SSD arrived and I had some serious disk issues)
With guidance from IBM performance support
Using OpsNav Management Central, I setup a Disk Response monitor,
Collection interval of 30 seconds,
Threshold 1 with a trigger
Operating system command - Call STRPEXCL parm('&VAL')

PENCOR05 Monitor Pencor05 Disk exceeded threshold 50 for 1 interval(s); current value is 71 at 082409 - 153700

This was awesome.
Gathered perf data automatically and alerted me that the disks were busy.

One of the recent OS upgrades may have changed something.
The monitor is still there, but Threshold 1 is greyed out.

STRPEXCL

0045.00 CRTLIB LIB(&LIB) TEXT(&LIBDESC)
0046.00 CRTSAVF FILE(QGPL/&LIB) TEXT(&LIBDESC)
0047.00
0048.00 SNDMSG MSG('Monitor Pencor05 Disk exceeded +
0049.00 threshold for 1 interval(s); current value is ' +
0050.00 *CAT &VAL *TCAT ' at ' *CAT &DATE *TCAT ' - ' *CAT &TIME ) +
0051.00 MSGTYPE(*INFO) TOMSGQ(QSYSOPR)
0052.00
0053.00 /* QIDRPA/STRPACOL COLLECTION(BUSYDRIVES) +
0054.00 PROBLEM(*PDIO_TIME) DURATION(1) +
0055.00 MAXDATA(4000000) DATALIB(&LIB) +
0056.00 CPUSAMPLE(200) JOBQ(QCTL) JOBQLIB(*LIBL) +
0057.00 CVTPEX(Y) NBRTHD(*CALC) ENDPEXPTY(51) +
0058.00 PEXFTR(*NONE) WRAPTRC(*STOPTRC) TEXT('') +
0059.00 ADDEVTS(*SAREVTS) /* test */
0060.00 /* MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000) /* t */

Paul