That's the issue for sure. Any catalog that is loaded in a virtual device is flagged ALWSAV(*NO).

ONE reason why this is true is so the save will actually finish. If it allowed you to save them while loaded and you were backing up TO that virtual optical device is could in theory be making the object being saved larger or more numerous (or both) OR you'd run into locking issues and get only part of it anyway.

So you're doing the right thing by unloading them if you want them backed up.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com