+1

On 8/12/2015 11:03 AM, DrFranken wrote:
Paul,

So the confusion you have run into is common for WIndows people, myself included, because we are so used to an 'Installer' It sets up reasonably well suggested directory paths and off it goes. If you update it updates into the same path so we're good to go. Then along comes this much more Mac/Linux like thing that doesn't get installed so we end up using the long file name as the path such as "IBM_i_Access_Client_Solutions_LCD8_2010_05" as you suggested. That isn't really the intent though, it's suppose to be a 'delivery' folder.

Once we all get our hands around the fact that there is truly only one very important bit in there, acsbundle.jar and potentially the acslaunchxx.exe files we can plan a better implementation which I have now done. (I got it wrong the first time as you!) As a consultant I have many copies of this thing on my system. In a path ../iAccess I have a folder for @Frankeni one for @shell and then one for every customer I visit frequently. When I get updates to the product I simply copy the files mentioned above into the @Frankeni folder. Upgrade done! then I test to be sure it's OK for me. Then I copy it into @Shell and all the customer directories. Takes maybe 15 seconds to drag and drop. When I need to set up a new customer I make a copy of @Shell which has in it my keyboard layout and One system configured but my preferences for copy/past and to use tabs etc. Finally I add that customer's machine(s) to that new environment.

Because this thing isn't installed I can run multiple copies which is VERY cool and with tabs enable the sessions are grouped together that way.

So I think you are correct that perhaps what IBM needs are some scenarios for installation to help the windows folks 'get it'.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com