<snip>
Could this be why there is a high maintenance charge on SSD, spinny had no
maintenance?
</snip>

Definitely! I've already replaced 3-4 SSD's.

In theory you could fit a lot more on current SSD's. But, they leave a
lot of space on there for expansion after some of the old areas are
flagged as bad sectors. I may have the terminology wrong.

Personally I think it's weird that SSD's wear out faster than physical
movement like spinning disks but I don't make my living as a
microphysicist and perhaps I don't understand altering magnetic bits on a
chip and the wear factor on that. Must be quite different than a chip
that simply handles instructions where that doesn't need to worry about
holding data even during a power down. Apparently something has to be
physically altered, when you really think about it.

This extra maintenance is a big step backword. Reminds of when they used
to charge extra maintenance for each card one had in your AS/400. Until
they decided the extra income wasn't covering the extra paperwork costs.