Hi Rob,

ArdGate is a bridge between DB2/400 (and it's followers) and is using a JDBC driver to talk to the remote database. From the concept of DB2 all select, join and ordering is routed to the remote database and all JDBC Drivers I have worked with up to now, are routing those requests to the target database and even a ResultSet is an abstract construct and the data is returned with the fetch of a record, the open only transfers metadata (some kind of SQLDA := record description).
This could be verified by the java logs and by a communication trace as well.

Dieter

<Rob>
Dieter,

Thinking about the concept of openquery, in which it tells the remote
server to process the sql and then just return the result set, how do
products like ARDGATE handle such stuff?
For example, if LPAR1 talks to SQLSERVER and LPAR1 has Ardgate loaded and
I run a query against a +1M row file, and there's a select clause that
should only return 10 rows, will it only pass those 10 rows from sqlserver
back to lpar1 or will it pass the whole table to lpar1 so that it can do
the selection?
Again, something I could possibly test with a comm trace (if I had
something like ardgate loaded).

Rob Berendt
</Rob>