http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1018146
Ensure that all Windows based shares are 12 characters or less in length.
This is a permanent restriction as it causes the Windows server to return
a 3406 error code from the SMB transaction.

They key word is "all". Not "the shares you are trying to access".

Sure wish I could find that technote about this sporadic behavior but I've
got work to catch up on. I really tried. I even searched through my old
PMR's as I know I opened up a ticket on this very item in the past.

I did pull up a server which has numerous shares on it of varying sizes.
It's sporadic as to what names show up. Names that are a solid, no spaces,
more than 12 characters do not show up. Some with a space that barely
exceed will show. But in general 12 characters or less "seem" to work.
The problem I had in the past was the sporadic behavior. Thinks that once
worked, stopped.

If sticking to only trying to access 12 character or less names works for
you, then go for it. "IF".