Comments inline:

Op 11 jun. 2015, om 23:53 heeft Henrik Rützou <hr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> het volgende geschreven:

Some more remarks about Apache persistence CGI jobs.

* Users must have an *OS user profile, in many web applications users don’t

Point already answered by Scott.

* Users must have *OS object access to all objects used in the web system

Users must have access, but that doesn't mean the user profile must have access. We use adopted authority for that.

* Users also gain access to other services that run on the server such as
FTP etc. unless extensive user controle is applied.

Like Scott I didn't understand what you meant. Indeed, if someone has a user profile, he/she has access to all the services the profile is authorized for. Seems rather obvious to me.

* Using internal user profiles and passwords in a web system that may be
accessed by a browser from any device opens for sniffing.

Isn't that true for any kind of authorization? Makes sense to use SSL.

* Persistence is only pseudo persistence as described earlier

Could you explain what is pseudo about persistence? I tried to find what you meant by 'as described earlier'; only thing I could find is your assumption that the Apache server closes down jobs when the maximum is reached. I have never seen that happen; neither has Scott. I assume, because you don't seem impressed by persistence, that you have limited experience with it. Is it possible that you encountered the scenario I described earlier, that you messed up the server by ending jobs with ENDJOB? (I don't think that that should be possible, but IBM sees that differently :-)

* Persistence is not designed for concurrent AJAX and may cause
unpredictable results. You will either need to remember to set the async:
false property in the AJAX request or has an AJAX queuing mechanism in your
web application.

We also use a mixture of persistent and non-persistent. Our latest version just made the step from 'refresh the page' to 'refresh the data with an AJAX call', but I'm not quite sure how those AJAX calls are handled; I mostly work on the RPG side.

* Jobs are closed down when MaxCGIJobs are reached causing closing and
reopening of programs and files and also loosing persistency and causing
poor performance.

Like I wrote before: I have never seen that happen and neither has Scott. I think it might have been a misunderstanding.

* Persistence requires large pools of active IBM I jobs that even if they
are paged out of memory into the memory disk based work area takes up
resources.

Yes, all active sessions require resources.

What we build is not a public webshop, that might be visited by thousands of unknown possible customers; it is an ERP application that uses the browser for the user interface. It is used by a limited amount of employees, who all have a user profile. For such an application persistence is quite useful.

Joep Beckeringh