Nathan

It is a combination of several things.

Normally the Apache server runs it QZSRCGI jobs under a common userprofile
(serverUserId) in the config file. That is that the QZSRCGI job actually
runs under user QTMHHTTP as job user id and the common user from the server
config as adopted/actual user profile.

The number of possible QZSRCGI jobs under and Apache instant is also a
config setting.

If all QZSRCGI jobs are active processing and a request comes in the
request I queued until a QZSRCGI job is idle.

When you set up the Apache to run persistent this scenario is changed.
QZSRCGI jobs now runs under the real user profile as adopted/actual. A new
request will cause apache to create a new QZSRCGI job for the requesting
user.

When the allowed number of active QZSRCGI jobs is reached and a new user
makes a request the trouble starts. What Apache will do is to find the
first idle QZSRCGI job allocated to another user, close it down and start a
new QZSRCGI job for the new user. This will of course mean that the closed
job will lose persistency.

Now, today we run AJAX and AJAX may fire parallel requests from one client
against the Apache server. The Apache server will not queue this request
for one QZSRCGI job but execute them in different QZSRCGI jobs and that
doesn’t matter if you run stateless or persistent.

So suddenly one user may have a number of in this case persistent QZSRCGI
jobs and nobody knows which of the jobs are used for a single request. This
will of course also add to the overhead of closing and restarting QZSRCGI
jobs when the maximum threshold is reached.

There may be techniques to avoid this behavior, but as standard I will not
call it persistent.