On 06/08/2015 01:46 PM, Justin Dearing wrote:
On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 1:02 PM Mark D <mdlkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In my (admittedly
limited) experience with the i, it has a lot of trouble integrating from
other sources. Other sources are a fact of life as the average shop is
going to have quite a few different databases. When I say other sources
I mean connecting to a json service, reading xml files, reading a foxpro
database, etc. I know the i can do at least some of that stuff but it
is so ... painful.

Actually, php can do all these things just fine. So can Python, Java and
node.js. These are actually pretty vanilla use cases. Maybe they are hard
to do in RPG and CL. LINQ and a few other C# things might make these nicer,
but you've not named any straws that broke the camels back that would make
me say "this has to be C#." I could even do all those tasks in client side
javascript in a web browser or Excel VBA macros.

And there's the rub. If you have a shop with outdated RPG developers
who can't connect to other systems in RPG/CL, but you need them for your
business logic and want to keep around because they are in general as
smart and experienced as they are inflexible it's a good methodology.
You want to keep those devs busy while at the same time leveraging
cheaper or perhaps more well rounded C# talent.

If you use both systems in concert you can pick up in .net where the rpg
developers fall off or vice versa. One team can always pick up more of
the responsibility in providing a solution as necessary. It was an
arrangement that really worked well for us and brought the rpg old
school guys and the .net guys together.

You can skip the .net layer in most circumstances but it does help when
you need a .net guy to handle some business logic because your rpg guys
are busy. Of course you could just run node on the i as well as you
said but it's a dangerous thing to think you know javascript before you
know javascript. C# doesn't have quite so many pitfalls.

Thanks,
Mark