Jim,
It's likely the parent directories were not included in the save, therefore
they cannot be restored due to missing objects.

I thought the SAV command parameter :

OBJ(('/*' *INCLUDE)*INCLUDE)

means start at the root and save everything. (except for the 4 folders I omitted)

should I change it to:OBJ(('/*.*' *include)*include) ?

Paul,

in "/var", most of the directories are symbolic links to /QpenSys/...
So I would investigate 2 possible causes
1. /QopenQys is case sensitive ..
2. The content of Symbolic links is not included in SAV (only the
"concept of" link is)

First question, how to tell if it's a symbolic link from ops nav?

Second, this is mailbox file from communigate email server, I am fairly certain this is not a symnbolic link.

If I look under QopenSys/var, there is no communigate folder, which leads me to believe /var/communigate.... is a valid path, not symbolic link.