Hi Evan,

Users love Excel and use it for everything they can.
I don't have code but I've seen an application tying a spreadsheet to the
IBM i and users like it.

Yours truly,

Glenn Gundermann
Email: glenn.gundermann@xxxxxxxxx
Work: (416) 675-9200 ext. 89224
Cell: (416) 317-3144

On 28 May 2015 at 19:26, Evan Harris <auctionitis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all

OK, "Best" is probably subjective, but a scenario that came up for me this
morning had me wondering what the possible approaches to solve an
administration challenge were.

Situation: I have inherited an application that uses authorisation lists to
determine whether users are permitted to access certain menu items. I would
like to make this as "Self service" a function as possible.

My thinking was that rather than give people command line access on a green
screen I could create a table and based on adds and deletes to that table
use a trigger to either add or remove users to the required authorisation
list.

That set me to thinking: what would be the best way to allow people to
administer a table on the i.

I could for instance link a spreadsheet, or an access database or a SQL
Server database and use their in-built GUI tools.

Some of the tooling in Ops Nav would work but then that opens up a whole
other can of things to lock down.

Using something like Squirrel to access the table is not out of the
question, but I have not thought through how I would limit the access.
Maybe I could create a library and let people administer various table sin
there.

What other ways could I do this, especially if access via a web browser was
the preferred approach.

I don't want to build a CGI program for every use-case, I would much prefer
to have a general approach where I could have something like a grid
presented to people to do simple admin on a table.

I am curious what options others have come up with and used.

--

Regards
Evan Harris