Sheesh. WRT finding how to download the software and knowing whether you
have a license: The more things change, the more they stay the same.

- Dan

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Vernon Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi all

I'm looking at ACS (Access Client Solutions) and finding some hurdles.
This is supposed to be the direction we are to go - and it just doesn't
feel ready, sorry to say.

First, though, our systems guy tried to go to ESS to get the download -
said he runs into the usual takes-forever-to-get-entitled maze - so he
found a CD in our POWER 8 material with 5733XJ1-V1R1M3 on the label.

OK, so I got that installed - I'd had the evaluation version on my PC, and
this new en.html license file does not have the word "evaluation" anywhere
- YAY, I think.

1. I now have v1.1.3 on here

2. I went to the main ACS site and was pointed at an FTP site to get the
latest 1.1.4 update - downloaded that - turns out is the evaluation copy.

3. I am told to replace what I have with the contents of that ZIP file -
problem is, the license file (en.html) in the update is for the evaluation
- if I just replace, I'll lose my license, right?

Along with this, HOW do I know I AM licensed?

4. I'm on Windows - I'm told that to make the file associations, I should
go to the Tools menu of the main GUI and look for the "File associations"
item - it is not there.

So I think, I might need to start as Administrator - no such option
when I right-click on the JAR file.

So I look for the startup programs - ah, there's one for 64-bit
Windows - and I can run it as administrator - LO and BEHOLD - the file
associations option is there - NOT with the text in the GettingStarted
file, but close enough.

5. So can I use the 1.1.4 update to bring this up to date? Or do we have
to get the full 1.1.4 from ESS? How do I keep the licensing?

6. Having to run as admin to set up associations is a pain, at least here
where user-account-control reigns supreme - but maybe a one-time thing, but
general users should not be expected (trusted?) to deal with this

7. Also, I like to set up hot spots in properties - they did not get
converted, so far as I can tell

AND - the setting for Enter at cursor on double-click does NOT work -
entering string at cursor does work. Looks like a support call, unless
someone has an idea.

8. Oh, yeah, from the 5250 manager window, we can't right-click and drag
to make shortcuts - I could do that in the fat client, as I recall.

NOW that's about enough for now!!

Cheers
Vern