My guess is that the Windows driver is sending the code for "drawer=auto", allowing the printer to select which drawer to use, which in turn allows it to fall back to another drawer when needed.

By contrast, IBM i print files typically default to drawer=1 (prompt the CRTPRTF command, you'll see that "Source Drawer" defaults to 1). So they send the escape code telling it to use a specific drawer.

One way to solve that is to create WSCST source. Find out the escape code that Windows is sending for "auto" (it might be in the docs, or you might have to use a network sniffer to see what's sent) and then have the WSCST for drawer one send the same code.