No question they aren't going to put anything with 'fast charge' capability in there. That would add weight, cost, and importantly load on the PCI slot power as well. Consider that in many cases there are (were?) batteries in 2 of 3 slots at times, if they all needed a fast charge that would be a design issue right there.

Also consider that 99.999% (or more one would hope) of the time that battery needs little to no charging, just keep it topped up occasionally so it's available. Then consider that of the times there IS an outage they are normally not very long so the battery doesn't get drawn down much. I wonder how many cache batteries spend their ENTIRE life and never once get utilized, that has to be a fair number of them.

However since we know shipping these batteries fully charged is no longer legal here there MUST be a way for them to charge. Adaptec (and others) have chargers on their boards, this isn't new ground we're plowing here.

I can see it now, IBM shows up with 30 new cache batteries and plugs 'em all in and you roll in the 100A 220V charger with the #0000 cables and clamp onto these copper bolts hanging out the sides. 7.5 seconds later 'all charged up'! I see some Franken' coming here... :-)

We used to start the JD 4010 Diesel in the winter with the DC Welder. Set it to 400 Amps, clamp on one side ham a stubby welding rod on the other side then turn the key. What could go wrong? It's not like batteries produce explosive gasses or anything and welders don't make sparks do they? :-)

        - Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com