Have you tried this thread?http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200307/msg00997.html  ;

     On Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:26 AM, Justin Taylor <JUSTIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 How do I PING and TELNET using a specific port?

I just posted the device description in another message.

In my mind, the big question is how to emulate the "Generic / Text Only" print driver that Window uses?

-----Original Message-----
From: CRPence [mailto:crpbottle@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:27 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Generic text printer

On 13-May-2015 16:27 -0500, Justin Taylor wrote:
> The stamping machine doesn't do FTP.

  But both PING and TELNET to the specific port should verify the device can be reached.?

> Yes, it's defined as a Windows printer with no special software.
> It's attached to our network via Ethernet.  In Windows, I simply
> specified the IP address and port, Raw Protocol (as opposed to LPR)
> and use a "Generic / Text Only" driver.

  Does the following assist?:
<http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/System-i-printing-Configuring-an-ASCII-printer>

  BTW, quite difficult for anyone to respond to what might be an issue with what had been attempted already using the Create Device Description (Printer), if they are not also shown what was attempted.

  Skip the rant to see probable link for the broken link\URL in the above URL.  Some of that content may serve to help someone else find that information in the archives.

<rant>
  Hmmm.. just before posting, I actually checked out a link from that article... and as usual, from IBM, dead link; although when I went about trying to find a new\replacement link for that content, I determined that finally some humor had crept-in, as the 404 error shows an upside down IBM logo along with the normal text "Hmm, something's not right.
404 error: The page you were looking for appears to have been moved, deleted or does not exist."  I encountered that when I tried to back-track from what I thought to be the replacement document, and found the where Kirk had actually included that apparent document title in <http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200102/msg01079.html> where I found the doc number b44a2cf4ba778d83862568250053649f; then the prefix was NAS1, and newer articles prefixed with NAS8 but with much shorter reference identifiers.

  Anyhow, I will never understand why IBM can not keep a database of old links and an appropriate redirect, nor why almost everybody posting links to ibm.com does not know by now that IBM persists at being notorious for not maintaining old links.  So why people do not include at least the "subject" or some content [e.g. just the reference number would have helped] for somebody to use in the future to try to find the [since gone missing] content is mind-boggling?! Argh!
</rant>

  But perhaps I found the new stuff under multiple links all entitled something along the lines of "Information on Printers from ...".  The following document perhaps serves as an effective replacement for the /broken/ <www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas1b44a2cf4ba778d83862568250053649f>
link, which perhaps had the title "Support for Various ASCII Printers":

<http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1019605>
_Information on Printers from Various Manufacturers_ "... Reference #: N1019605 ...
_Technote_ (troubleshooting)

_Problem_ (Abstract)

This document contains links to several other documents. Each of these documents contain information on printers from one of various manufacturers and provides information about the printer data streams supported by each printer, whether it is Host-Based or can use a PDT or MFRTYPMDL for HPT, and what configuration options are available.

_Resolving the problem_

This document contains links to several other documents. Each of these documents contain information on printers from one of various manufacturers, and provides information about the printer data streams supported by each printer, whether the printer is a Microsoft Windows Only printer, whether the printer will work with and how it will work with Personal Communications 5250 (PC5250), Host Print Transform (HPT), Remote Output Queues, *LAN 3812 PJL device descriptions, *LAN 3812 SNMP device descriptions, and *LAN 3812 IPP device descriptions.

Note: This document was formerly titled Support for Various ASCII Printers.
  ..."

--
Regards, Chuck