Thanks for the info, from the manuals it looks like it's possible, however,
most likely I'll know for sure when/if I'll get installation media. The
system is 9406-170, so according to the chart, v5r3 can be installed on it.

The pricing options provided on the site http://www.idevcloud.com/ look
very promising. Somehow i was not able to find it, maybe because of my
location (Europe), google results are a bit tailored.