Hi, Rob:

You may be thinking of the "System password" -- when someone changed (upgraded or replaced) certain critical hardware resources, the system required entering a new "system password" -- usually the CE installing or repairing the hardware would take care of this.

As for license keys and their enforcement:

IBM APIs dealing with license keys have been in OS/400 since at least V2R3.

Prior to Version 4, most IBM LPPs with software licenses were not strictly enforced by the software.

On CISC IMPI AS/400 systems, you had to "order" all software and IBM would "cut a tape" containing only those LPPs you actually ordered.

When IBM migrated AS/400e to RISC they started using CDs for software distribution, so this all changed. IBM created a "master set" of CDs that contained the most commonly ordered LPPs on those CDs (so they could be "mass produced").

Recall that during the lifetime of Version 3, some LPPs were using license keys, but mostly for products like Client Access that had "per user" or "per seat" licensing options.

With V4R1, IBM began to enforce the licenses using license keys across the board. However, the "roll-out" was gradual. First, the "base" OS itself required a key. Then, one by one, each of the various LPPs that were keyed started to enforce the license.

t may not have been until V4R3 or V4R4 that most "keyed" LPPs actually checked and enforced the licenses.

So, by V5R1, most all LPPs that are "keyed" require a valid license key to operate beyond the "grace" period (usually 70 days).

HTH,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 5/13/2015 1:24 PM, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I remember from prior to V5 days a system processor key or some such
animal.