We experienced an issue this morning with our paired 5913 (57B5) DASD controllers.

This error was an L2 cache error and the cards needed to do a reset for data integrity reasons.

The controllers went into a recovery, lasted 23 seconds, LPAR was suspended during this period.

During the recovery, several applications failed.

I was under the impression that if one card failed or had issue the other card takes over.

I guess there are exceptions to that rule.

Open PMR with Hardware support, waiting on feedback.

Anyone ever experience one of these or something similar?

CPPEA46  70  INFO         Warning - An I/O adapter to I/O adapter connection failed.

                      QSYSCOMM1  QSYS       404596 QRUSDMSG     0000 05/12/15 05:50:44.544846 QSYS

CPPEA66  99  INFO         *Attention*  Hardware service may be required.

                      QSYSCOMM1  QSYS       404596 QRUSDMSG     0000 05/12/15 05:50:45.352414 QSYS

CPPEA46  70  INFO         Warning - An I/O adapter to I/O adapter connection failed.

                      QSYSCOMM1  QSYS       404596 QRUSDMSG     0000 05/12/15 05:50:45.352726 QSYS

  CPPEA45  40  INFO         Informational only.  I/O adapter to I/O adapter connection restored.

                      QSYSCOMM1  QSYS       404596 QRUSDMSG     0000 05/12/15 05:51:07.352712 QSYS

This error is an L2 cache error and the card needs to do a reset for data integrity reasons.

57B59072  05/12/15 05:49:42  Info  2/288/0/  0-2/  /27/  / 1/   DC11       57B5 001  ********** 8025E960  No description is availa
57B58157  05/12/15 05:49:42  Perm  2/308/0/  0-2/  /27/  / 1/   DC14       57B5 001  ********** 802589C0  No description is availa         <===== See explanation below in Desdription for Case 4115
57B59070  05/12/15 05:49:42  Info  2/288/0/  0-2/  /27/  / 1/   DC11       57B5 001  ********** 802589E8  No description is availa
B6000266  05/12/15 05:49:42  Reco  2/308/0/  0-2/  / 0/14/ 0/   DMP069     59C2 109  ********** 8025E961  Contact was lost with th
B6005275  05/12/15 05:50:13  Info  2/288/0/  0- /  /  /  /  /   CMB13      57B5 001  ********** 802589E8  URC Information not avai
B600512D  05/12/15 05:50:40  Dump  2/308/0/  0- /  /  /  /  /   CMB17      57B5 001  ********** 802589C0  An IOP dump was initiate
50B18404  05/12/15 05:50:40  Dump  2/308/0/  0-2/  / 2/38/ 0/   D07        50B1 001  ********** 802589C0  No description is availa
50B18404  05/12/15 05:50:40  Dump  2/308/0/  0-2/  / 0/38/ 0/   D06        50B1 001  ********** 802589C0  No description is availa
57B59072  05/12/15 05:50:40  Info  2/288/0/  0-2/  /27/  / 1/   DC11       57B5 001  ********** 8025E963  No description is avail
B6005120  05/12/15 05:50:44  Info  2/308/0/  0-2/  / 0/18/ 0/   DMP038     59C2 109  ********** 8025E964  System LIC detected a

B6005120  05/12/15 05:50:44  Info  2/308/0/  0-2/  / 0/15/ 0/   DMP073     59C2 109  ********** 8025E96E  System LIC detected a pr
A6010266  05/12/15 05:50:44  Perm                               *PLATFORM                       C80011EC  No description is availa
A6020266  05/12/15 05:50:44  Perm                               *PLATFORM                       C80011EE  No description is availa
A6010266  05/12/15 05:50:44  Perm                               *PLATFORM                       C80011F0  No description is availa
57B59071  05/12/15 05:51:06  Info  2/288/0/  0-2/  /27/  / 1/   DC11       57B5 001  ********** 8025E96F  No description is availa
B6005275  05/12/15 05:51:11  Info  2/308/0/  0- /  /  /  /  /   CMB17      57B5 001  ********** 802589C0  URC Information not avai        < ====  IOA Reset for SRC57B58157 recovery.
B6005120  05/12/15 05:51:30  Info  2/308/0/  0-2/  / 0/18/ 0/   DMP038     59C2 109  ********** 8025E970  System LIC detected a pr
B6005120  05/12/15 05:51:30  Info  2/308/0/  0-2/  / 0/19/ 0/   DMP040     59C2 109  ********** 8025E971  System LIC detected a

*******Description for Case 4115******
SRCxxxx8157 with NO degraded disk and Service Action Log (SAL) failing item = SVCDOCS, the IOA does NOT need to be replaced.
________________________________
******ACTION for Case 4115**********
This is an update. You only need to verify that the disk units under the IOA are NOT "DEGRADED" and the callout in the Service Action Log is "SVCDOCS" to = NO IOA REPLACEMENT.

*******Extended Text for Action *******
SRCxxxx8157 is a RECOVERABLE error and as long as no disk units are
"degraded" and the Service Action Log has "SVCDOCS" as the part called
out, DO NOT REPLACE THE IOA.
Other errors logged at the same time may be: (Example for 571F/575B IOA)
SRCA6xx0255/266
SRC571F8133
SRC571F3400
SRCB6005275
SRCB500512D
SRC506D8404
SRC506E8404
*
*  This error is an L2 cache error and the card needs to do a reset
*  for data integrity reasons.
*
*  The card is working as designed if after the resets, all resources
*  are "operational"
*

Thank You
_____