Matt,

I think the cost is debatable... I'd imagine lots of the theoretical design
ideas can and are shared.

But I'd also imagine that the implementation details are worlds apart.

With DB2 for LUW, you have a DB sitting on top an OS..
With DB2 for i, you have a DB deeply integrated into the OS.

Without DB2 for i adding a virtualization layer specifically to allow for
easy porting of DB2 LUW code, I can't see there being one code base.

Could they do so? I'd imagine they could.  But at what costs?  Not just in
implementation, but in added overhead.

Charles