Matt

A Google of "db2 temporal" got lots of hits - this one looks like a good start for LUW - others specifically said for Z, which is mainframe -

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/techarticle/dm-1210temporaltablesdb2/

There are links there to free community editions of DB2 for LUW, and several other items.

You didn't say why you're interested, so I'll ass-u-me some things.

The IBM i DB2 team is not the LUW team - IBM do try to cross-pollinate some, there are documents about the similarity. But no guarantees that syntax in one flavor of DB2 will be the same in another flavor.

If Scott and Mark ever do have their teams work on this, you just can't trust documentation for LUW or Z flavors to be exactly the same as you'll end up using on i. That is the case with several things - folks have posted questions in these lists about some feature they saw in DB2 documentation and it just isn't supported on i or not in exactly the same syntax.

One thing I am pretty confident about - they will make things line up with the latest ANSI spec for SQL. I don't know if temporal operations were even part of that spec.

Besides, some things just aren't needed on i that ARE needed on the other systems. There are settings and knobs in LUW DB2 for managing disk space that we never have to deal with.

I know, since I was on the team testing it, that when the new query engine was being done, that the developers looked at some algorithms from the Z flavor - maybe from LUW, as well. But we can't make any assumptions about what the DB team will do on the i side of things.

That's a lot of words to say, looking at other flavors may be a matter of going down the yellow brick road - and do NOT pay attention to the man behind the green curtain!!

Regards
Vern