On 08-May-2015 10:10 -0500, (WalzCraft) Jerry Forss wrote:

I just did the STRQM command and it throws the message that it
cannot  start because a COMMIT or ROLLBACK must be done.

Presumably that was msg QMR0151 "DB2 UDB for iSeries Query Manager cannot start." per the prior logged generic msg QWM1102 "START command ended due to error." per the prior logged specific msg QWM1201 "START command failed with SQLCODE -752." for which the sqlcode -752 is revealed in the first level text and the sqlstate revealed in the second level text for which the attempt to activate the SQL environment for QM had failed due to the prior logged msg SQL0752 rc#.

Someone must have played with this before my time here.

The failure unlikely due to something prior to one's "time" on the the particular system or in that employ, though possibly in that process [aka job] on the system [but of course nobody shared interactive sessions ;-)]. The failure is likely due to the job on the system having performed some work under commitment control, but for which that activity is not at a commit boundary.

What will happen with either option?

That would be revealed by reviewing what is pending commit, from the Work With Commitment Definition (WRKCMTDFN) output; issue WRKCMTDFN JOB(*) STATUS(*ALL) ASPGRP(*ALLAVL) LUWID(*ALL) OUTPUT(*) and review the 5=Display Status and then F6=Display Resource Status [probably a job-level definition for *DFTACTGRP] to track down what resources are Pending Changes. IMO reviewing the OUTPUT(*PRINT) is less tedious, so perhaps that is a better option.

If the ROLLBACK is issued then the pending changes are discarded. If the COMMIT is issued then the pending changes are confirmed\committed and thus their completed effect is visible.