On 03-May-2015 11:57 -0500, Paul Fenstermacher wrote:
On 5/3/2015 12:34 PM, Paul Fenstermacher wrote:

I'm doing a V7R1 to V7R2 upgrade today and Stage 5 has been sitting
at 30% with SRC C900 2950 for three hours. IBM is telling me that
this step could take 3-4 hours but I've never seen anything like
that in the past. Anyone ever seen this? Thanks.

I do not suppose there were visual cues as to what the CPU situation was like averaged and spiking over that time-frame.?

IIRC that install phase System Reference Code (SRC) C900 2950 [as a symptom string kwd: SRCC9002950] is the "restore of database files into QSYS" which includes the restore of the System Database Cross-Reference files (DBXREF) named QADB* in QSYS. When those files on the media do not match the files on the system, those files on disk are altered [effective SQL ALTER TABLE or Change Physical File (CHGPF) with SRCFILE(named)] to match. Unless there was a change notified in the Memo To Users (MTU) for the release, I would not expect those files to be changed; the only other way they should be different is if the Primary National Language Version (NLV) installed on the prior or currently-being-installed release did not match.

This is our largest development system with close to 8000 libraries,
most of which have lots of database files. I found a Google item
saying this SRC was for converting the database cross-reference
files(which are HUGE on this system) but that was around the V5R1
time frame, not sure if that step still happens at V7R2. All
external storage, DS8870, with 4 dedicated processors and 64G
memory.

Now, after presumably the upgrade request has completed, review the _spooled_ [not the active] SCPF joblog from the IPL that spanned the installation upgrade processing to see what activity was logged; explicit searches on text QADB could be telling, but after ensuring that the joblog being reviewed was indeed for the install. The history log may also record information about what transpired since the pwrdwn prior to the IPL of the install until that work (slowly) completed.

FWiW an upgrade from pre-7.1 to 7.2 would expect a conversion of several of the DBXREF files; the largest likely being QADBIFLD that tracks all database file columns\field attributes, and another large file QADBXREF tracking all database [and some device (DDM)] files on the system.