According to document N1012637 it looks like save while active on stream
files has three options: *NO, *YES, *SYNC. They all have one thing in
common - they all skip anything that's locked with no waiting. The
differences?
*NO: No synchronization. If you have an application that updates
myorderheader.csv and myorderdetail.csv it will not try to save them at
any particular simultaneous snapshot. If they are locked it won't save
them at all.
*YES: Sync's "groups" at 2,000-10,000 objects per group. Hopefully those
two files are in the same group. If any of them are locked it won't save
that one.
*SYNC: Sync's all requested stream files as one snapshot. If any of them
are locked it won't save that one.

In IBM i 7.2 IBM has gone whole hog with CHGATR OBJ(...) ATR(*ALWSAV)
VALUE(*NO). Many 'log' type directories are now flagged with that and
will not be saved. Even with a dedicated restricted state save.