Jim,

I use BRMS with SWA, ASYNCBRING full production save of every library, every night, starting at 10 pm, ending midnight, 2 hours.
There are additional features in BRMS GUI that you do not get in BRMS green screen.
1) Additional SWA synchronize features.
2) GUI omits - specific objects

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/IBM%20Backup%2C%20Recovery%20and%20Media%20Services%20%28BRMS%29%20for%20i/page/Welcome

10 *EXIT *******
20 *SAVSECDTA FFFFFFF *NO
30 *SAVCFG FFFFFFF *NO
40 *ALLUSR *SYSBAS FFFFFFF *ERR *YES QSYSOPR *NONE
50 *ALLDLO FFFFFFF *NO *YES
60 *LINK *ALLAVL FFFFFFF *NO *NO
70 *EXIT *******

No journaling.
Nothing ended.

Libraries never an issue, I still have IFS issues.
SWA does nothing for IFS, since there is no wait time on IFS objects.
Setting SWA for IFS can will actually make IFS save loner with no real benefit.

How Save-While-Active on IFS (SAV) Works
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/entdocview.wss?uid=nas8N1012637

Total time for IFS save is 5 to 10 minutes
If an IFS object is in use, object is skipped.

Or, if the save grabs the IFS object, and an app needs it, the app usually does fail.

I've determined that most IFS objects in use are temporary objects, better to be skipped during save, causes less application issues.

We not only use the full back up for recovery purposes, but on an given night immediately after the save, we restore our main application to any one of 7 test/training/programming environments on a different LPAR. This is also a good test of recovering our critical application.

Paul