Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply!! This list is awesome.

Scott pegged the problem in that I had &MODE as char and was passing it my
reference. After changing it to integer and passing by value, it works! I
am so happy. Scott you are amazing and went to the trouble of writing the
code with error checking and everything. Marvellous.

The purpose of my cl is a rudimentary utility to archive source members to
the IFS. The suggestion of performing the MKDIR and monitor for an error
is a very good suggestion. If the access api wasn't so fast I would
consider doing that. My current design checks for a folder with the name
of the source library and creates it if it doesn't exist. It then checks
for a folder with the name of the source file and creates it if it doesn't
exist. It then creates a file name composed of "source-member.member-type
date time" and performs the CPYTOSTMF.

Thanks again to everyone. :-)

Yours truly,

Glenn Gundermann