From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 2:13 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: CPP6316 - Hardware configuration change detected, followed by CPF414C - Command not allowed

I just replaced one of the LTO4HH drives in one of our libraries. Would often drop connection well into a save.

When they replaced the drive I had some 'fun'. The serial number of the drive (not the library) changed.
Drive is controlled by VIOS. That VIOS lpar does the fiber tape drive.
WRKMLBSTS and vary off for all lpars of IBM i.
WRKCFGSTS *DEV TAP* and vary off for all lpars of IBM i.
replace drive
Bounce VIOS lpar. (probably could have done 'iop reset' if I new vios
better.)
WRKHDWRSC *STG
http://mytaplib, record serial number of drives.
STRSST delete old resource for replaced drive. Rename resource of new drive to that of replaced drive. I'm OCD on this as I like the resource names to match the drive names. And I like them to be consistent across all lpars.
WRKMLBSTS ensure that it is still varied off WRKCFGSTS *DEV TAP* on just one lpar. Vary on replaced tape drive (not library). Use 'itdt' to stress test drive. Passed. Vary off TAP* devices.
WRKMLBSTS and vary it on.
make sure that only the replaced drive is 'allocated unprotected'. Do long extensive BRMS save. When complete, expire the tape.
WRKMLBSTS for all lpars and make sure library is ready and drives are all allocated unprotected.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755