I think you have successfully brainwashed yourself into thinking Microsoft Bad, IBM i good. Microsoft Bad, IBM i good. Say it with me everybody.....

The reality is that you have to objectively look at each OS as a tool in your toolbox in today's landscape. That would include IBM i, AIX, Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android and whatever else comes our way.

If you just go around spouting: IBM i is better than everything else because of it's new name, you sound more like a preacher than an architect.

While it may be true, a lot of your perspective, my perspective and everyone else's perspective comes from our heritage.

I have worked on AS/400 - IBM i and Windows for 20+ years, thus I have a natural affinity for both platforms.

You have worked on IBM i, so you seem to have a natural affinity to i-only unless I'm reading your responses incorrectly.

We're all partial to what we know well, but we have to be open to all options in today's world, especially when we put the word "architect" in our job titles.

Otherwise you should tout yourself as "Chief IBM i Architect" or "Chief Power Systems Architect".

An architect can look objectively at all angles and determine which tool to use. IBM i isn't always the hammer to wield for an application scenario in today's world.

Unfortunately the one experience you described was a lost cause because of management perception. That doesn't make your assertions that Microsoft is all bad because of one company's experience.

Also I would think that millions of servers would be in dire peril if your assertion that a poor IP stack were at the heart of Windows issues. As I mentioned I have hosted servers that haven't been restarted for over a year and they haven't had any issues nor have I talked to customers facing IP issues. Or maybe I just haven't noticed :-)

You're right on the virus potentials, but any system is vulnerable to some extent so hanging your hat on virus protection is not relevant because there are some awesome virus protection apps out there for Windows and IBM i. In fact I can think of some things in the HS arsenal that keep IBM i much safer :-)

Bottom line is that we have differing opinions and experiences, however I think my position is little more balanced. Just don't let your bias unduly influence customers.

We can continue the debate in person at COMMON over cocktails if you like. I'm buying :-)

Regards,

Richard Schoen | Director of Document Management Technologies, HelpSystems
T: + 1 952-486-6802
RJS Software Systems | A Division of HelpSystems
richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.rjssoftware.com

------------------------------

message: 4
date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 07:42:04 -0500
from: "Jim Oberholtzer" <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Samba

Richard,

There's no argument that M$ has a place, nor do I wish to debate it. As to
the stability of the apps: phooey. People expect M$ apps to die constantly
so they accept it. Oh the server itself won't go down or maybe it's only a
service that has to be restarted every week, or communications that bomb for
some reason (M$ still does not know how to build a reliable IP stack) but
those apps die with regularity.

I have a customer that used to run an IBM i ERP. It was green screen. The
CFO got made at the system because it lost a disk unit and the third party
maintenance guy blew up the system by replacing the wrong drive. How that's
IBM i fault is another question He forced the company to the M$ suite of
apps. TOC of the department has about doubled and I see messages at least
once a day from one the many manufacturing plants they have notifying IT
they are down for one reason or another. Usually only a few minutes but
down nonetheless. They went from dead solid, to at best flaky and spent
millions doing it, when all they really needed to do was put up the more
recent version of the software they already had (which has a robust
graphical component). He drank the M$ coolaid....

Let's not talk about security it's not worth the laugh. Daily/hourly
patches for the latest and greatest virus/worm/malware, no thanks....

I do support you're point that you could write applications in .Net and use
those to access the IBM i instance. Arguably Microsoft Studio is the most
efficient development environment available today. RDi is getting there but
there are not the prebuilt helpers for screen dialogs, and common every day
development bits in it yet like Studio has. But I would only put the view
and maybe a portion of the controller there, never the model in an MVC
environment. (wait now your back to the daily/hourly patches for security
and malware on the WEB server, maybe not.......)

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect