My eyesight differs from yours. I see the pointy end of that arrow saying
2016 for i Next. That's where I'm laying my money.

<snip>
This strategy includes the practice of supporting an IBM i release until
the next two releases have been made available, plus at least twenty four
months – which translates to approximately six years of support.
</snip>
Based on that I see IBM i 7.1 reaching EOS in 2018 and IBM i 7.2 reaching
EOS 2021.
Does that mean one can coast on 7.1 until 2018? Maybe. And there even
seems to be a gap between EOS 7.1 and i Next +1 so that compiling down to
two versions only shouldn't be an issue. Of course, one may have to see
if the major ISV's really want to continue limiting themselves from newer
technologies for years at a stretch. After all, how many Windows ISV's
thrive when then come out with a version that just runs on the latest
version of Windows, yet doesn't have the look and feel of the latest
version of Windows? Do you really see Windows ISV's bragging they still
support Windows 3.1, like some of the "AS/400" ISV's that brag they still
support OS/400 V3R2?