Samba is an implementation of SMB - Server Message Block - which is the
underlying Windows file sharing mechanism. It's also used by NetServer.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 1:48 PM, <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Samba and NFS aren't the same thing then, right? Just as NetServer and
NFS aren't the same thing?

Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: Richard Schoen <Richard.Schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03/27/2015 01:06 PM
Subject: RE: Samba

Apparently on V7R2 Samba server can be used to replace NetServer if you
set it up.

Unless you've downloaded it and set it up, you're probably using NetServer
still.

That's why the PTFs would be in zip format since they go directly to the
IFS for application I would guess.

When I asked for documentation IBM didn't have anything IBMi specific at
the time for Samba download and set up. They may now.

Regards,

Richard Schoen | Director of Document Management Technologies, HelpSystems
T: + 1 952-486-6802
RJS Software Systems | A Division of HelpSystems
richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.rjssoftware.com

message: 1
date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 12:07:09 -0400
from: rob@xxxxxxxxx
subject: Samba

I get this "IBM My notifications - Operating Systems" email from IBM.
In it is a section "2. IBM i 7.1: Urgent support notifications
(Recommended by IBM support)"
So I click on that and I see:

Security Bulletin: IBM i is affected by the following SAMBA
vulnerabilities (CVE-2015-0240) March 23, 2015 Security vulnerabilities
have been discovered in SAMBA..
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1020638

So I click on that and I see:
The issue can be fixed by applying the SAMBA PTF to the IBM i System.
The IBM i PTF numbers are:
Release 7.2 ? SI56213

Now I am thinking no big deal, just download and apply this PTF. Wrong.
When I read this cover letter I see that I have to use jar to unzip a file
and run a bunch of other stuff.
Why do they do this crap with PTF's for stuff like Samba and WAS? Heck I
don't even know if I'm using Samba. How do I tell? And how do I "restart
the Samba server"?

IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600 Mail
to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Confidentiality Notice: This email, including attachments, may include
confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the
person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this email is
not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is
email is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this email
immediately.
list