Are you using VIOS?
Rob Berendt

Not at this time Rob. I'm just looking for some good reasons why it would be advantageous to have load source on SSD.

This is being driven due to a recent "incident" where one of the mirrored load source disk located in the CEC, failed. No big deal usually... but the second mirrored disk threw "noise" on the SCSI bus at the same time, resulting in the system shutting down to protect the data. A system crash occurred!

I want to move away from disk in the CEC. It will take some downtime to do this and I'm looking for IBM or industry leader testimony that it is a good idea to spend time and money on. This would make it easier to convince management that the downtime is justified...

What can I say... They won't take my advice alone on this matter. Further documentation, that it is the "best" thing to do would help my cause considerably...

Maybe Sue Baker could give her opinion (???)

My reasons:

1.) Faster access from SSD through modern controller technology (5813 for example)
2.) Faster access to load source could decrease the IPL time resulting in less downtime.
3.) Dual path protection to the disk would provide better data protection.
4.) Moving away from the older MFIOP technology into newer SAS technology.

Kenneth